jump to navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

How can we get Guardianship for children here from Micronesia?

For the Marshall Islands, the families need to have parents if they are in the Marshall Islands, go to the Micronesian Legal Services and the courts to have legal paper work completed for guardianship.  Usually families there will help with this.  There must be expiration date on Legal Guardianship papers.
For Chuuk , Pohnpei, and Kosrae it would be done the same way through their courts.
If parent and guardians are here than they should use the Legal Aid Services of Hawaii (536-4302), Naloio (847-8828), or Volunteer Legal Services(528-7046)

How do you get birth certificate from Marshall Island and FSM?

For Marshall Island, the families can go through family members in Marshall Islands who can then go to vital statistics to have a copy made.  Or to the Consulate Office for an application which can be faxed in to : Registration for birth, marriage, and death certification.  Phone: 001(692) 625-3718 fax: 011(692)625-5353
For FSM, you can go to the Consulate office (See Resource Government office for number and address) to get an application which can then be emailed to Yap, Pohnpei or Chuuk.  There is a $3.00 fee for Yap and Pohnpei, and a $20.00 fee for Chuuk.  Family members can also help out with this over there but application needs to be completed.

How do you get another passport?

To get another passport from RMI & FSM, you can have individuals go to the Consulate Office for help.  A letter and applications need to be notarized and sent to RMI & FSM for another passport.  There is a fee of $50.00 and it usually takes about 2 weeks to receive another one.  (See Consulate information under Resources)

Are Micronesians eligible for Food Stamps?

No, unless they are born in the US and are US citizens.

Are Micronesians eligible for Legal Aid Services?

Yes, they are now eligible for Legal Aid Services.  They can contact Legal Aid Society of Hawaii http://www.legalaidhawaii.org or on Oahu: 536-4302, Maui: 242-0724, Hilo: 934-0678, Kona: 329-8331, Kauai: 245-7580, Lanai: 565-6089, Molokai: 553-3251

What documents are needed for services?

(See attached Documents list)

How do I get another I-94 document?

You can get a replacement form for an I-94 document downloaded from the http://www.uscis.gov website.  The form is I-102 form.  The fee is $320, this needs to be mailed in with the fee of $320 to USCIS-California Service Center, P.O. Box 10102, Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-0040

How can I disseminate information to the Micronesian population here?

In trying to reach the Micronesian population, one must consider either working with the Micronesian Church leadership, Micronesian community leaders, Consulate Offices or interpreters and translators as well as through their ethnic radio stations . (See Resource list).

%d bloggers like this: